July 10, 2018
WYC 152 – Your Coaching Purpose vs Your Coaching Goals – Scott Hearon
Scott Hearon is a native Nashvillian and a 2006 graduate of Montgomery Bell Academy where he played football and basketball for the Big Red. A remarkably average athlete, Scott did not make a big impact in the high school stat columns, but he found his niche as a gifted leader and communicator among his teammates and coaches. Scott continued on to Baylor University and earned a degree in Communications and a minor in Business. While at Baylor, he met new football coach, Art Briles, during football tryouts when Coach Briles informed him that his 5.0 second 40 yard dash time was not quite good enough to be a slot receiver for the Bears.
After returning from Texas, Scott took a ministry job working with high school students and their families and coaching in his spare time. He found a lot of success in his day job, but found his coaching to be a disaster. Reminded of the incredible potential athletics has to prepare players for life, Scott set out on a mission to be be a more full hearted leader himself and to develop opportunities to help other coaches do the same. This journey led Scott to co-found the Nashville Coaching Coalition in 2015 and begin as the Executive Director full-time in 2016 with the goal of fully leveraging the human growth potential of sport in Nashville.
Previous episode with Scott:
Listen on iTunes: iTunes link
Listen on Stitcher: Stitcher link
Listen on Google Play Music: Google Play link–
The good and bad of sports coaches
- Many kids validate themselves based on what coaches say to them and how they treat them
The lost dream of being an all-state player
- When Scott realized he wasn’t going to be an all-state player, he could feel the disappointment from his father. He and his father realized this wasn’t healthy, so they ended up reaching out to Joe Erhmann to learn what being a man is really all about.
The 8 Feelings
- Dr. Chip Dodd has researched emotional intelligence – and come up with 8 core emotions that every human has. We have the ability to choose a positive or a negative response to each emotion. The 8 core emotions are:
- 1 – Hurt
- 2 – Lonely
- 3 – Sad
- 4 – Anger
- 5 – Fear
- 6 – Shame
- 7 – Guilt
- 8 – Glad
Why do you coach?
- To win a championship?
- To build strong children?
- Difference in goal vs purpose:
- Purpose is about the big picture (to love kids)
- Goal is the short-term focus of the team (to win a championship)
Meetings with parents
- Always have the players present
- Always start every conversation with your purpose statement
- Over-communicate your vision
The Coach Forum
- Awesome coaching speakers in a Ted-x style format
- Website: nashvillecoachingcoalition.com or thecoachforum.com
- Use Promo code ‘WYC’ to save $20 – So you get everything for $79!
Reviews are the lifeblood of the podcast!- If you like the podcast- please take 2 minutes to write a review! Click here
Ready to be an Awesome Youth Coach? Sign up for our free weekly newsletter: