December 15, 2016
WYC 101 – Championship Basketball – Kevin Furtado talks Benchmarks, Action Steps, & The Legends Clinic
Kevin was recently hired on at a charter school in Georgia called Lake Oconee Academy. He has been coaching basketball for over 26 years. Kevin grew up in San Jose California and played football, basketball, and baseball growing up. Kevin shares with us how he is creating the culture at Lake Oconee specifically with Benchmarks and Action Steps, as well as how he founded the Legends Clinic coaching conference.
Video of Legends Clinic Conference: loatv.org
Listen on iTunes: iTunes link
Listen on Stitcher: Stitcher link
Listen on Google Play Music: Google Play link
Building a New Culture
- Built to last
- Teach life skills & develop great people
- Core values: FIST: Family, Integrity, Serve others, Toughness
- Demanding culture
- Good never is
5 year Action Plan
See Kevin’s 5 year detailed plan here: Lake Oconee Academy Girls Basketball Action Plan
Year 1 Benchmarks
- Every level of our program will know our core values (from elementary school feeder programs through high school)
- Win 10-12 games
- Establish relentless work ethic
- Our players will be taught our core values at every practice and team meeting
- We will emphasize total team play in our system with tough team defense and unselfish passing offense.
- Every player will be held accountable for their effort at every practice. They use objective chart to track. Tracks: Attendance, Hustle, attitude, who took a charge, etc.
- We will perform 4-5 community events every season
- We will build our team room in high standards
- We will establish our little-dribblers program (kids perform ball-handling program at halftime of games). Great way to bring in more parents to your game too.
Great book reference: Jon Gordon’s The Hardhat
Free download of entire clinic: loatv.org
- Coach Durden – Teaching accountability – He has one rule in his practices: No walking
- It’s all about making the kid’s have the best experience possible and growing the kids
I Youth Football helps coaches, organizations, or parents teach football skills to kids ages 3-11. Not only does I Youth Football guarantee your players increase their skills, they will give you individualized pricing based on your situation. So if you are a coach or want your local organization to run I Youth Football in your area, visit them at www.iyouthfootball.com and reach out. It’s simple to set up, and a nice way to earn a little side money while helping kids learn the game of football. To get $100 off the program be sure to use this coupon code: winning