January 9, 2018
WYC 138 – Leadership – John Moyer talks Overfunctioning Leadership
John Moyer is a current teacher at Stow-Munroe Falls High School, where he has taught since 1990. John is certified coach in Resilient Leadership, based in the Washington DC area. John currently is employed by the Stow City School District as their District Leadership Coach, where he helps teachers, coaches and administrators become more effective leaders.
Podcast: iTunes link
Youtube: youtube link
Listen on iTunes: iTunes link
Listen on Stitcher: Stitcher link
Listen on Google Play Music: Google Play link–
Every system(or team) desires 5 things: SCARF
- Certainty – This takes time for a newer coach.
Good places to start
- Read books
- Attend conferences, talk to other coaches
Critical thinking in the stress of a game
- If you have established your guiding principles, it greatly increases your ability to calmly think through and stay focused on what’s important
- When one overfunctions, there is a reciprocal reaction of underfunctioning
- The best balance for a coach is to be there to be a calm presence in a storm, but not overreact to negative situations that will occur in every game
A child-focused society
- If a parent over-focuses on their children, the child is worse off
- As a coach- do your coaching well, but think less about it.
- Game theory – There is a fear our kid/team will get behind if someone else practices more or plays on more travel teams.
- A 2 person relationship is inherently unstable. For parents – it is far easier for them to talk about their kids than it it is to talk about their own relationship.
Connecting with and impacting kids
- John works with kids to help them start establishing who they are and identifying their self
The One that Got Away
- In John’s senior year, he played against a tackle that went on to be an all-pro center. John got worked over pretty bad by this guy, but he learned resilience and knew to focus on process over outcome.
Best borrowed/stolen idea
- Relentlessly eradicate hurry from your life
- Book: A Failure of Nerve by Rabbi Ed Friedman
- Book: Resilient Leadership by Bob Duggan and Jim Moyer
- Smile a lot.
- Be organized.