July 15, 2016
Special Insight on Culture – Live from the Way of Champions Transformational Coaching Conference
We’re taking a break in our 10 part series on culture this week to allow you to be able to peak inside the brains of some of the leading experts on creating championship culture.
I was blessed to be 1 of the 68 coaches who attended this conference, and since I know many of you would have loved to be there, I wanted to share a few powerful lessons I walked away with. Also – just FYI – they are planning to do 2 or 3 more of these conferences around the country next year, so stay tuned at changingthegameproject.comor wayofchampions.com.
I could write many pages of notes on the lessons I learned, but I know many of you are like me, where you learn more through audio and video, so here are the most powerful videos that capture the essence of the conference:
- 18 minute interview of Dr. Lynch, John O’Sullivan, and James Leath. Broken into 2 parts:
- Nate Sanderson, girls High School basketball at Springville High School and Breakthroughbasketball.com coach, shared a powerful 4 minute video from his team’s state championship game last year – the amazing thing to watch in the video is observe what the teammates do for each other after any mistake. Nate’s quote: ‘We needed to interrupt the negative thought process in the midst of games,so we implemented what you see in the video.’
- Dr. Jerry Lynch uses the acronym STRONG FACTS to list the steps to build championship culture.
- Never Quit
- I summarize the last ‘S’ in the acronym, Suffering, from atop the Flatirons at Chataugua, in this 1 minute video:
- Video Link
- ‘The pathway to greatness is through suffering’
- There are more than a dozen other great videos taken from the conference, check them all out here: WYC Facebook page
Also, for you audio learners, next week’s WYC podcast will be a compilation of the audio I recorded at the conference, so look forward to that. WYC Podcasts
Next week we’ll dive back into our 10 part series on culture and look at recognition and rewards.
- Team first – Link to post
- Team Cornerstones – Link to post
- Positive Environment – Which dog are you feeding? – Link to post
- Recognition & Rewards
- Building Trust
- Seek First to Understand
- Coaching your own kid
- Perspective & Giving Back