October 2, 2014
WYC 020 Youth Baseball – Dave Westwood from ‘New and Noteworthy Podcast’ – talks Leadership and Having a Plan
Dave is a business consultant from Pennsylvania. He recently launched a podcast called the New and Noteworthy Podcast. He played baseball and football growing up. He has coached youth baseball over the last 20 years. He is married and has 1 child – an 8 year-old son.
Listen in ITunes: Itunes link
Listen in Stitcher: Stitcher link
▪ ‘A leader is best when people barely know he exists. When his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say ‘we did it ourselves’’
Coaching your own Kid
▪ It’s hard to not be harder on your own kid
My ‘Cringe’ Moment
▪ Dave shared story of confronting umpire in a quiet, non-threatening way. The umpire flipped out and caused a big scene. Dave doesn’t regret the way he confronted him, just regrets that the kids had to witness this umpire behaving this way. Tweet your thoughts: Should Dave have done something differently?
Coaching AH-HA Moment
HUGE IDEA #1
You have to have:
1 – an organized system
2 – a coaching staff/support system.
‘It takes a village to raise the team’
Teaching Children & Keeping it Fun
▪ Get to know their personalities and embrace the craziness
▪ Teach 2 key things: fundamentals, and sportsmanship. With sportsmanship – modeling the behavior is as important as talking about it.
Best Stolen Idea
▪ Learn skills in small groups! Eliminate standing around.
▪ Winning Youth Coaching (thanks Dave!)
▪ Create teachable moments
Reward and Recognition
▪ Have whole team sign baseball as keepsake at end of year
▪ Constant, positive reinforcement
▪ Spend time letting them get to know their teammates – name games the first few practices
▪ Dave shares story of coach telling him ‘you made the all-star team because your teammate is going to be out-of-town’ – Ouch. Coach – what were you thinking?
▪ Dave now has kid that loves being on his team and comes up and hugs him
▪ The kids know who win or lose – so don’t hide from it. Teach the kids how to win and how to lose well.
The One that Got Away
▪ Playing another team that was breaking some rules – Dave got frustrated and blitzed 4 straight plays – on the 4th one they got burnt for a TD. HUGE IDEA #2: Don’t let emotions take over your decisions.
▪ Quote: ‘A leader is best when people barely know he exists. When his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say ‘we did it ourselves’’
▪ Quote: ‘Before you’re a leader, success is all about growing yourself. When you become a leader, success is all about growing others’ – Jack Welch
▪ Book: ‘Success is a Choice’ – Rick Pitino
▪ Book: ‘Team Captains Leadership Manual’ – Jeff Janssen
▪ Have a plan before you walk on the field
The New and Noteworthy Podcast
▪ Dave has launched a new podcast featuring many new podcasts that are being launched – check it out at: newandnoteworthy.net. (The Winning Youth Coaching podcast was actually featured on his show– check out episode 013 at: N&N Episode 013
Interview Links / Promotional Partners