June 2, 2018
Donny Murray is currently a professional pitcher in the independent Frontier League. Donny is from Boston, was a 4 year starter at D1 Holy Cross, and also pitched 2 summers in the Cape Cod Baseball League for the Falmouth Commodores. In 2016, Donny pitched the first no-hitter in USPBL (professional independent league) history. He also works with SuperSpeed Slugger, which is a bat speed training product being used by MLB teams and youth players of all ages. The WYC listeners can get 10% off SuperSpeed Slugger by using promo code “WYC”.
Listen on iTunes: iTunes link
Listen on Stitcher: Stitcher link
Listen on Google Play Music: Google Play link–
- Always try to look at potential, and a huge factor is attitude and if they are coachable
Adjusting when losing talent
- Be pre-emptive with your culture to get your players/coaches focused on the right things if the winning is going to drop off
- It’s even more important to develop your leaders when winning is going to be tough. A leadership council of 2 kids per grade can help prepare your younger leaders for when they are future captains.
- 2 types of captain:
- 1 – Vocal leader
- 2 – The hard-worker who just gets it done
- Using video analysis is a great tool for a player and/or a coach
- Take the time to evaluate a player before you start giving advice. Don’t watch them for 1 rep and start changing things.
- Then start with the fundamentals and get their foundation right.
- Individualize your feedback!
The One that Got Away
- Donny’s last collegiate game – he just wasn’t ‘on.’ It made him work that much harder to make sure it didn’t happen again.
Best Stolen/Borrowed Idea
- Make every practice drill a competition
- Overspeed training – a set of 3 bats. 1 is 20% lighter, 1 is 10% lighter, and 1 is 5% heavier
- Swing with both sides of the body (not just dominant hand). Great for injury prevention
- Teaches the body to swing faster.
- Within 6 weeks it’s engrained in the body.
- Only takes 7-8 minutes per day, 3 days per week
- The WYC listeners can get 10% off SuperSpeed Slugger by using promo code “WYC”.
- Players and parents notice how much effort you put it to your coaching, and they will play harder for you if they think you are putting in the effort
Reviews are the lifeblood of the podcast!- If you like the podcast- please take 2 minutes to write a review! Click here
Ready to be an Awesome Youth Coach? Sign up for our free weekly newsletter: