May 12, 2016
As the Co-Founder and Product/Program guru for Positive Performance, Lindsey works with athletes and coaches to unlock player and team potential through mental performance training. As an athlete, Lindsey had the privilege to play on many successful teams and collect an impressive playing resume along the way. As a mental training coach, Lindsey has developed mental performance training tools and techniques for universities, teams, and organizations across the globe.
Listen on iTunes: iTunes link
Listen on Stitcher: Stitcher link
Listen on Google Play Music: Google Play link
‘Change happens slowly and then all at once’
- Make it realistic (i.e.- I will never be able to dunk) – but make it a little out of reach
- Your mind will naturally think of both positive and negative thoughts – be prepared for this & acknowledge the negative though non-judgementally
- BRAVR exercise – 5 minute pre-practice visualization routine – download it for free: positiveperform.clickfunnels.com/5min-a
Confidence in Girls vs. Boys
- Girls develop the ability to read faces much earlier than boys – so because of that they are often looking for positive affirmation much more than boys. The danger of this is the girls might stop taking risks.
- Typically girls have a much stronger need to create harmony within the team. Hunter-gatherer theory: As men were out hunting by themselves, the women were back raising children with the other women – so the need to get along was very important.
- Socially – as men move up the corporate ladder, they are more liked. The opposite is true for women, as they move up and are more successful, they typically are less liked.
How to get out of a slump
- Sometimes we actually like the extra attention
- Momentum – It’s easier to keep going the direction we are going – so even if it’s a negative direction, we keep going. You have to break that negative path. Self-Talk is a great way to do it. We think 50,000 words per day- and the majority of it is negative (that’s a survival technique.)
- ‘To be successful you have to lie to yourself a little bit. If you are not failing a lot – you are not pushing yourself hard enough, so realistically most of your time should be spent pushing yourself through those failures. But that’s mentally hard to get excited about, so you have to lie to yourself a little bit.’
- Great post: positiveperformancetraining.com/slump/
Connecting with and Impacting Kids
- Lindsey shares a story of a 10 year-old girl who had lost confidence and hope, and was crying during games. Lindsey worked with the girl and her parents to re-establish a guiding light and hope to break out of that mindset. The girl is 14 now and is doing great.
The One that Got Away
- Not playing at the end of the championship game her freshman year and they lost by 1
Favorite coaching book/quote
- Quote: ‘Change happens slowly and then all at once’
- Book: The Inner Game of Tennis by W. Timothy Gallwey
- Book: The Female Brain by Louann Brizendine
- Book: Positivity by Barbara Frederickson – Great book for self-talk
Positive Performance Training
- Website/blog: positiveperformancetraining.com
- Free resources/ Webinars for coaching on confidence; coaching girls; mastering self-talk
- Personal 1-on-1 coaching: LindseyWilsonCoaching.com