September 3, 2014
Alan Stein is the owner of Stronger Team and the strength & conditioning coach for the nationally renowned, Nike elite DeMatha Catholic High School basketball program. Alan brings a wealth of valuable experience to his training arsenal from over a decade of extensive work with elite high school, college, and NBA players. He also co-hosts the podcast ‘Hardwood Hustle’ with Adam Bradley. Alan lives in Bethesda, MD with his wife Rebecca, twin sons Luke & Jack (aka ‘The Born Backcourt’), and daughter Lyla.
Podcast: Hardwood Hustle
Listen in iTunes: iTunes link
Listen in Stitcher: Stitcher link
▪ ‘A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle’
Coaching your own Kid
▪ It is important for your child to have a positive sports experience early on – and if that means you need to step up and be coach, step up and do it
My ‘Cringe’ Moment
▪ There are 100 ways to skin a cat – in Alan’s early years he wasn’t as open-minded about outside methodologies
Coaching AH-HA Moment
- Meeting Todd Wright, Texas’ strength coach
Teaching Children & Keeping it Fun
- Kids are different than adults! Physically, mentally, and emotionally
- Start with the foundation – their body, then move to their skill, then to their brain, then to their heart.
HUGE IDEA #1 – 60 minute practice plans
- 60 minute practice plan for 8 year-old:
o 20-25 minutes – body awareness/performance
o 30 minutes – fundamentals/skills
o 5-10 minutes – Play games: 2-on-2 or 3-on-3
- 60 minute practice plan for High-schooler:
o 5-8 minutes – body awareness/performance
o 15-20 minutes – fundamentals/skills
o 15-20 minutes – Situational games, still lots of 3-on-3
Best Practice Warm-up
HUGE IDEA #2 – 6 primary movements to include in your warm-up:
- Defensive sliding
Watch examples on Alan’s Youtube channel: Youtube.com/strongerteam
Best Stolen Resource
▪ When watching someone else do a drill that you are going to implement- Ask:
- Why are you doing it?
- How are you doing it?
- What is the end result supposed to be?
▪ ‘You get what you bring as a coach’ – If you bring enthusiasm, and model the behavior you are preaching, and expect excellence of yourself – most of the time the players will respond in kind.
▪ Positive Peer Pressure – the team all is disciplined together
Reward, Recognition, and Teambuilding
- ‘Coaching at its most fundamental level is about connecting’
- Kevin Durant – When he was in high school – he was very intraverted and quiet – yet Alan connected with him and appreciated Alan’s passion for making him better
▪ Podcast – Andy Stanley’s ‘Your Move’ – the non-negotiables are Dishonesty, Disobedience, and Disrespect
▪ Quote – ‘Do the things others don’t do, and you’ll have the things others don’t have’- also very powerful if you replace the word ‘won’t’ for the ‘don’t’
▪ Book – Coack K – ‘Leading with the Heart’
The One that Got Away
- ‘Play present’ – You have to focus on the next play- nothing in the past, nothing too far in the future
- Alan shares a story of a player at Dematha who barely missed setting an incredible record and what he did afterwards that was so impressive
▪ Always, always, always – do what is in the best interest of the player
Stronger Team/Hardwood Hustle Podcast
▪ Alan co-hosts the Hardwood Hustle podcast with Adam Bradley – Great podcast for people of all ages- Have your junior-high/high-school kids listen!
Interview Links / Promotional Partners